Since R41 the (basic) Excavator can now remove all surface blocks, crafted blocks and items and rocks up to the hardness of Fossil layer blocks like Bedrock and Limestone, which includes Magnetite, Fossils, Tourmaline, Mold, Mud, Stone and all types of Canyonstone.
Nodes with Ore inside as well as all items that can store materials, blocks or items inside will always be left intact.
Attention: as mentioned, all Excavators can also remove all kinds of crafted blocks and objects except those with storage!
This means that since only half of what the Excavator removes is saved, if only one item/object of a kind exists in the removed area, it will not be saved.
So you might want protect your base by disabling all Explosives either for your whole world (as a "Pro" player), or by claiming the area of your base and disabling TNT for all claims, which will also prevent Excavators and other Explosives from being used in the area.
To use Excavators, put (a stack of) them into any quickslot, select this slot and place an Excavator into the world like any common block by clicking your right mouse button.
You can rotate Excavators after placing them into the gameworld by holding "r" (as the default key) and using your left mouse button to drag and thereby rotate the Excavator. Using the right mouse button will activate the Excavator, using left click and holdin it will let you pick the Excavator up again.
If you use the Excavator on the Stalactite layer it will remove only the blocks of Mold and Mud in it's 7x7x7-range, but will leave Stalactite and Siltstone intact (as well as Iron Nodes, occasional Coal Nodes and Obsidian Nodes).
The crafting recipe for the (basic) Excavator will be unlocked by
- crafting or finding an Iron Mining Cell (a rare treasure in Diamond Treasure Chests, so it will more often be crafted)
- crafting or finding TNT from any kind of Keepas as a loot or pet-harvest, or from Obsidian Treasure Chests or Iron Treasure Chests
- obtaining Iron Bars made in Forge from Iron Ore found on the Stalactite layer underground or also in Iron Treasure Chests or Diamond Treasure Chests
Crafting an Excavator is one of the unlocking requirements of the crafting recipe for the Advanced Excavator, and crafting that Advanced version is in turn one of the unlocking requirements of the crafting recipe for the Super Excavator, which is currently the last tier and can remove all blocks/rocks up and including the hardness of corrupted blocks.
To craft 4 (basic) Excavators in your Crafting Menu (to be opened with "q" as the default key), you'll need:
- 2x Gunpowder, found in Wood Treasure Chests, looted or pet-harvested from Hot Feet
- 6 Iron Bars made in a Forge from Iron Ore found on the Stalactite layer underground or also in Iron Treasure Chests or Diamond Treasure Chests
- 4 Obsidian Rods made of Obsidian (bars) in a Processor or found in Iron Treasure Chests or Diamond Treasure Chests
If your Excavators cannot be activated (by "f" as the default key or right-click) after being placed, then:
1. area-damaging Explosives might be disabled for the whole gameworld (this can be changed anytime in the advanced options for "Disable Explosives" of the world by the creator/owner of the gameworld). In this case usually a message window will tell you "Excavator cannot be used at this location"
2. Explosives might be disabled on the claim where you are trying to use the Excavator (which can be changed anytime in the Advanced Options for each claim with the option "TNT enabled" by the owners of the claim). In this case usually a message window will displayed, saying "Excvator cannot be used in this claim".
4. you might not be permitted to use area-damaging Explosives (but in that case you cannot even place them) because of your permission level (mainly being visitor) that the owner of the gameworlds or of the player claim has set for you
5. if other devices like Teleporters also do not react, and no message windows are displayed, there might be a problem with your internet connection or the Creativerse servers aren't properly in synch with your client any more (which sometimes happens after playing for a longer while). Try relogging (and take care to wait a little before logging in again!), usually everything's okay again upon your return
6. remember that Basic Excavators cannot remove blocks that are harder than Bedrock and Limestone, so harder rocks will just stay where they are if you activate a Basic Excavator on the Stalactite layer, the Lava layer or the Corruption layer, however the Excavator itself will be used up and vanish.