Explosive Bombs can be thrown from your quickbar and will explode on contact. If Explosive Bombs hit Creatures or player characters, they will deal significant damage, but will not harm nor change the environment in any way.
Please note that Explosives will only inflict damage against player characters when PvP is enabled on game-worlds or player claims (claim settings override world settings). You cannot hurt your own player character (anymore) when throwing an Explosive, not even if it hits the spot directly under your character's feet.
Explosive Bombs also won't set flammable blocks or materials on fire.
You can sometimes find Explosive Bombs in Stone Treasure Chests (that spawn in darkness on rocks of the Fossil layer), Obsidian Treasure Chests (that spawn in darkness on rocks of the Stalactite layer), Iron Treasure Chests (that spawn in darkness on rocks of the Lava layer) and Diamond Treasure Chests (that spawn in darkness on Corrupted Blocks).
Rarely, Explosive Bombs can be obtained from Silver Keepas or Golden Keepas as a loot or pet-harvest, or more rarely from Hot Feet or even very rarely from a common blue Keepa, but only as a pet-harvest.
You can also craft Explosive Bombs in your Crafting Menu (to be opened by typing "q" as the default key), but only after the crafting recipe has been unlocked by:
- obtaining Gunpowder for the first time (finding it in Treasure Chests, or making it from Coal in a Processor, looting or pet-harvesting it either from Keepas of any kind or from Hot Feet that spawn in darkness on blocks from the Lava layer)
- obtaining Leather as a loot or pet-harvest from Creatures like Pigsies, Night Hoglets or Night Pigsies, or more rarely Leafies of any kind
- obtaining Crystal Shards from Creatures like Pigsies by killing or pet-harvesting from them, or alternatively by putting blocks of Tourmaline into a Processor (not into a Forge though)
To craft 8 Explosive Bombs at a time you'll need:
- 1x Gunpowder, found in Treasure Chests, made from Coal in a Processor, or looted/pet-harvested from Hot Feet or Keepas
- 3 Crystal Shards, obtainable from many Creatures like Pigsies either as a loot or pet-harvest, or alternatively made from Tourmaline in a Processor (not in the Forge, that would produce Infused Crystals)
- 1 (piece of) Leather, obtainable as a loot or pet-harvest from many Creatures, mainly from Pigsies, Night Hoglets or Night Pigsies
Explosive Bombs can be thrown from your quickbar. Put a stack of them into any quickslot, then select the quickslot either by choosing it's number or scrolling with your mousewheel, and then use right-click to throw. Only one bomb from a stack will be thrown automatically. You can throw the next Explosive Bomb then after waiting 3 seconds (because of the cooldown).
It can be a bit difficult to aim at first because of their throwing curve, and it also seems that the bomb has a maximum range. Be careful when throwing bombs upwards or on ascending terrain, as they tend to explode on the nearest step/s.
The explosion effect will show you where the bomb has impinged on exactly. When Creatures are hit by an Explosive Bomb, they will at least be stunned for a split second and can sometimes display a special animation/posture indicating their stunned condition.
Examples for the damage-power of Explosive Bombs:
2 Explosive Bombs can kill a yellow (daylight) Pigsy.
13 Explosive Bombs can kill a Corrupted Rockster.
Around 60 Explosive Bombs can kill a Thing.