Freeze Bombs can be crafted in your Crafting Menu (default key "Q") or at Crafting Tables (that can still be found on older worlds), but only after the crafting-recipe has been unlocked by:
- crafting or finding an Iron Mining Cell, for example in Diamond Treasure Chests that spawn on corrupted blocks like on the Corruption layer underground
- obtaining Ice on Mountains, from frozen rivers under a cover of Snow in Taigas or Tundras, only rarely in Frozen Deserts, but in abundance on flat areas of frozen Ocean-biomes. Ice can also infinitely be "made" from Water, Bog Water or Corrupted Water by placing these liquids into cold areas or on thick icy platforms
- and crafting Armor-Piercing Bombs
To craft 4 Freeze Bombs at a time you'll need (as of R29 in March 2016):
- 2x Gunpowder, found in Wood Treasure Chests on the surface at night, in many other kinds of Treasure Chests, can also be looted or Pet-harvested from Hot Feet and Keepas of any kind
- 5 (blocks of) Ice that can be found on Mountains, as part of frozen rivers under a cover of Snow in Taigas or Tundras, but most of all on flat areas of frozen Ocean-biomes; or "made" from Water, Bog Water or Corrupted Water
- 1x Rambeau Tuft obtained as a loot or Pet-harvest from Rambeaus (spawning mainly on Peakstone in Mountains)
- 1x Blizzard Chizzard Gizzard obtained as a loot or Pet-harvest from Blizzard Chizzards (spawning in any cold area on Snow during the day)
To throw a Freeze Bomb, simply put a stack of these explosives into your quickbar (by dragging it there from your inventory or by right-clicking on the stack if at least one quickslot is empty), then choose the quickslot (by typing its number or scrolling with your mouse-wheel), take your aim with the crosshair cursor and use the right mouse button to throw one Bomb of the stack.
When thrown at Creatures or player characters, Freeze Bombs will deal freeze with additionally freeze damage over time (only ca. 3 seconds) and eventually have a deadly effect, however their actual damage output is really weak. 17 Freeze Bombs are necessary to kill a Pigsy. And to top it off, if a Creature dies from being hit with a Freeze Bomb, it will not drop a Loot Bag.
Freeze Bombs will freeze a maximum of 7x7x7 blocks (much often only a thinner layer of 7x7x3-4 blocks though) of Water, Bog Water, Mineral Water and also Corrupted Water to Ice (that will all turn into common Water when melted). Freeze Bombs can even change Tar, and can cool down Hardened Lava to become Igneous Rock as well as liquid Lava to Hardened Lava. When thrown at deep pools from above, a Freeze Bomb will usually at first freeze the bottom layers of the liquid in a 7x7 perimeter.
Freeze Bombs cannot extinguish flames. Currently Tar can only be transformed with Freeze Bombs, since it does not "freeze" any longer by simply being placed into frezingly cold environments that are inducing a freeze scale like back in 2015.