Obsidian Chairs are usable and decorative pieces of furniture that can be activated to make your player character sit down.
These items of furniture can be crafted in your Crafting Menu (to be opened by "Q" as the default key).
The crafting recipe for Obsidian Chairs has to be unlocked first by:
- creating Obsidian Slabs in a Processor from Obsidian Bars that are made in a Forge from Obsidian Ore (that can be extracted from Nodes on the Fossil layer, in Caves, on Mountains or found in Iron Treasure Chests)
- crafting (or taking) a Stone Chair, which is unlocked after crafting a Wood Chair
- crafting an Obsidian Floor from Obsidian Slabs, Obsidian Rods and Melted Wax
To craft 1 Obsidian Chair, you'll need:
- 1x Melted Wax made of Beeswax in a Forge or looted from Wood Treasure Chests or Stone Treasure Chests
- 4 Obsidian Rods made of Obsidian Bars in a Processor
- 2 Obsidian Slabs made of Obsidian Bars in a Processor
Crafting an Obsidian Chair is one of the unlocking requirements of the crafting recipe for Iron Chairs.
You can rotate Obsidian Chairs in all directions by holding R (as the default key) and moving the left mouse button. The chosen rotation angle can then be "locked" too by simply typing "R", so that all items of the same stack will be placed facing the same direction.
However graphic glitches or displacements can happen when player characters sit down on or stand up from a chair that is placed sideways or upside down.
To make your player-character sit down, activate the chair by right-clicking or typing "f" (as the default key) while looking at it. Tables placed in front of the chair won't block this process, instead your player-character will sit down at the table.
Since update R32 you don't need to equip any Power Cells to pick up any kind of crafted objects or blocks that have been placed into the world. Of course you won't be able to take these on claims of other players (or in worlds) where your permission level is set low.
Furniture cannot be protected with permission settings, and cannot be wired nor "locked", so even visitors can sit down on chairs, but cannot pick them up.