An Obsidian Table is a decorative furniture-item the size of one block that can be placed but does not store or display items/blocks like Wall Shelves can.
These items of furniture can be crafted in your Crafting Menu (to be opened by "Q" as the default key).
The crafting recipe for Obsidian Tables has to be unlocked first by:
- crafting (or taking) a Stone Table, which in turn is unlocked after crafting a Wood Table
- crafting Obsidian Brick Walls from Obsidian Slabs, Stone Rods and Globs of Goo
- and creating Obsidian Slabs from Obsidian (Bars) in a Processor
To craft 1 Obsidian Table, you'll need:
- 1x Melted Wax made of Beeswax in a Forge or looted from Wood Treasure Chests or Obsidian Treasure Chests
- 2 Obsidian Slabs made of Obsidian (Bars) in a Processor
- 1 Obsidian Rod made of Obsidian (Bars) in a Processor
Crafting/taking an Obsidian Table is one of the unlocking requirements of the crafting-recipe for Iron Tables.
Obsidian Tables do not have slots that you can fill with items nor can they downsize blocks for display like Placemats, Hidden Temple Altars, Shelves, Flower Pots or Wood Planters can. However you can put a Placemat or also any placeable block or items onto Obsidian Tables similar to how you would place them on the ground.
Obsidian Tables can be fully rotated in all directions by pressing and holding R and moving the mouse while holding the left mouse button. The chosen rotation angle can then be "locked" too by simply typing R while looking at a rotated item, so that all items of the same stack in the selected quickslot will be placed facing the same direction.
When turned sideways or upside down, tables can be used as decorative elements in walls or detailed builds, but in this case you cannot put Placemats on them that are often used to lay the table with Food and other objects that cannot be directly placed down, and with objects or blocks that will be reduced in size for display.
Since update R32 you won't need to equip any Power Cells to pick up Obsidian Tables that have been placed into the world. Of course you won't be able to take such items on claims of other players or in game-worlds where your permission level is set low.
Tables cannot be wired and their permission level cannot be set/changed.