The Stone Fence is a construction element that can be crafted in your Crafting Menu (default key "Q") or at Crafting Tables (that can still be found on older worlds), but only after the crafting-recipe has been unlocked by
- crafting (or taking) Wood Fences
- crafting Stone Doors from common Stone, Stone Slabs, Stone Rods and Beeswax
- crafting Stone Floors from Stone Slabs, Stone Rods and Melted Wax
To craft 8 (pieces of) Stone Fences at a time you'll need (as of R30 in April 2016):
- 1x Melted Wax made of Beeswax in a Forge or looted from Wood Treasure Chests or Stone Treasure Chests
- 1 Wood Rod made of any kind of Wood or Logs in a Processor
- 2 Stone Rods made of Stone, Limestone or Bedrock in a Processor
- 2 Stone Slabs made of Stone, Limestone or Bedrock in a Processor
Crafting Stone Fences is one of the unlocking requirements of the crafting recipe for Obsidian Fences.
Stone Fences are designed to cage in or hold off Creatures and Pets, as they cannot climb over fences (nor gates) that are merely 1 block in height. However breaches in the enclosure or defence can be created by placing blocks or liquids next to fences (which creates "steps" for Creatures) or by placing items (like torches) directly on the top of Stone Fences.
Similar to Iron Bars, when only one Stone Fence is placed on the ground, it will look like a simple short post, and if you staple these, you can create long poles or (lamp posts by adding lamps of any kind on top, etc.).
When blocks or solid items like gates are (placed) right next to a Stone Fence, the fence will connect to that by enlargening horizontally. Placing two or more Stone Fences next to each other will automatically cause them to connect, also crosswise, but not diagonally (not crossing over more blocks than where they have been placed). Stone Fences can fill holes in the same way. Gates will not extend themselves to link with Stone Fences, only the other way round.
Since R44 (June 2017), fences can be rotated by pressing and holding R and moving the mouse while holding the left mouse button.