Since R40 at the end of March 2017, Stone Mining Cells are now the first tier of Power Cells after Wood Mining Cells were taken out of the game.
The crafting-recipe needed to craft Stone Mining Cells has to be unlocked at first by mining/collecting common grey Stone. Stone can now be pulled by Arctek gauntlets without requiring any Power Cells. Stone is easy to find by simply venturing a few steps into any shallow Caves, or by digging (steps) downwards through the topmost softer layer (most often made of Dirt), until you will reach the Fossil layer.
To craft one Stone Mining Cell, you will need (as of R43 in May 2017):
- 4 (blocks of) Stone, mined from walls of shallow Caves, from rocky Mountains, hill sides or dug out of the ground from the Fossil layer that is just below the surface layer. Mining Stone now does not require any Power Cells to be equipped
- 2 Wood Slabs made of any kind of Wood (except for Corrupted Wood) or Logs in a Processor
- 2 Mushrooms; either Red Mushrooms, Brown Mushrooms or even the rare Glowing Mushrooms will do (the small blue arrows indicate that you can browse through alternative materials by clicking on these arrows)
- 5x Coal extracted from Coal Nodes in Mountains, or on the Fossil layer to the Stalactite layer underground by using any kind of Extractor. Coal can also be found in Wood Treasure Chests and can be obtained from Keepas by killing them or taming them, feeding them and then harvesting from them
- 2 Flowers of any kind, like Red Flowers from birch-like Ashenwood-trees, Yellow Flowers from dark-leafed Cragwood-trees, Blue Flowers from pine-like Elderwood-trees, Wildflowers that grow on the ground in Savannahs, Tundra Flowers from Tundras, etc. Again, please click on the blue arrows to browse if necessary
Crafting or taking a Stone Mining Cell is one of the requirements to unlock the crafting recipes for Obsidian Mining Cells, Forges, Stone Chests, Wiring Tools, Plows, Switches, Blocks of Goo and for Taming Collars.
You will need the Stone Mining Cell to pull Bedrock, Limestone and/or Magnetite on the Fossil layer (like in shallow Caves), as well as Mold and Tourmaline further down, but also Canyonstone, Dark Canyonstone and Ruddy Canyonstone in Canyons on the surface, Peakstone high up in Mountains, or Ice from frozen Oceans or rivers (often hidden under a thin layer of Snow).
Pulling these hard rocks will drain the durability of your Stone Mining Cell significantly, while pulling Stone will drain the power of your Stone Mining Cell only moderately.
In a detailed view, it is believed that it can pull up to 300 T2 blocks and 600 of T1 blocks.
However you cannot pull any harder rocks with Stone Mining Cells - like Siltstone, Stalactite or Saltrock on the Stalactite Layer. You also cannot pull any fluids with mere Stone Mining Cells (as of R39 in February 2017).