The one recipe for all kinds of Bread - including Tar Bread - will be unlocked by taking Wheat for the first time.
No additional specific recipes will need to be unlocked to make Tar Bread. After the basic bread recipe has been unlocked, many different types of Bread - like Tar Bread - can be made by clicking at the basic bread recipe in the Cooking Station and then by inserting different kinds of liquids additional to 4 portions of Wheat.
To cook/bake 2 loaves of Tar Bread at a time, you'll need (as of R32 in June 2016):
- 4x Wheat grown on tilled land (made with a Plow) from Wheat Seeds which can be occasionally obtained while harvesting Tallgrass or Savannah Tallgrass
- 1x Tar from the Fossil layer or Stalactite layer underground, scooped up with an Iron Mining Cell or better
When consuming Tar Bread (by putting it into a quickslot, choosing that quickslot and click your right mouse button or by dragging this food over your character's model on the right side of the inventory) your character will be granted a bonus of 100 points to their maximum health for 7 minutes and 30 seconds.
Only one Tar Bread of a whole stack will automatically be consumed if you use a stack. If you eat more Tar Breads (by right-clicking or dragging & dropping again) than one after another, the effect will merely set/prolonged to 7:30 minutes anew.
Mind that only common Bread (made from Wheat and ordinary Water) will unlock the recipe for Sandwiches. Baking any other types of Bread (like Tar Bread) will currently not unlock any new cooking recipes.
Pets who prefer to eat Tar Bread will not provide you with their best harvest if you feed them any other types of Bread, like common Bread made from Wheat and ordinary Water for example.
Different types of Bread can be made by using the basic Bread recipe and inserting Wheat together with other kinds of Liquids into a Cooking Station. Depending on the type of liquid, various variants of Bread will be the result:
- common Bread is made with 4x Wheat and 1x foraged ordinary Water from rivers, lakes or oceans, scooped up with an Obsidian Mining Cell or better
- Wholesome Bread is made with 4x Wheat and 1x foraged Mineral Water from the Stalactite layer, from oases in Canyons or made by purifying Corrupted Water, scooped up with a Diamond Mining Cell or better
- Bog Bread is made with 4x Wheat and 1x foraged Bog Water from Swamplands on the surface, scooped up with a Diamond Mining Cell or better
- Tar Bread is made with 4x Wheat and 1x foraged Tar from the Fossil layer or Stalactite layer underground, scooped up with an Iron Mining Cell or better
- Blazing Bread is made with 4x Wheat and 1x foraged Lava from the Lava layer or made by throwing Fire Bombs at Hardened Lava, scooped up with a Lumite Mining Cell (strongest Power Cell)
- Corrupted Bread is made with 4x Wheat and 1x foraged Corrupted Water from the Corruption layer or made by throwing Corrupt Bombs at ordinary blue Water, scooped up with an Lumite Mining Cell (strongest Power Cell)
- Gingerbread Loaf is made with 4x Wheat and 1x found Molasses obtained as a rare drop from either Arctic Miruss, Blizzard Chizzards or Rambeau, multiplied by leting it flow and scooped up without needing any Power Cells
Wheat grows from Wheat Seeds which can be occasionally obtained while harvesting Tallgrass or Savannah Tallgrass). You have to plant these seeds under fitting conditions (on tilled soil with water nearby) to receive Wheat.