Wood Ladders can be placed into the world and then climbed by player characters.
The crafting recipe for Wood Ladders is unlocked by:
- acquiring Wood Rods, which can be attained by putting any kind of Wood, Logs or Wood Slabs into a Processor.
- crafting (or taking) blocks of Wood Floor, made from Wood Rods, Wood Slabs (made of Wood in a Processor) and Melted Wax (made of Beeswax in a Forge or found in Treasure Chests)
- and creating Twines from Vines in a Processor
To craft 8 Wood Ladders at a time, you'll need:
- 8 Wood Rods made from any kind of Wood, Logs or Wood Slabs in a Processor
- 1 Twine, made from Vines in a Processor
Ladders can be spaced 2 blocks apart and still effectively be climbed.
The crafting recipe for Wood Ladders can be found in the Furniture section in your crafting menu (to be opened by typing "q" as the default key).
Creatures cannot climb ladders, however Ladders cannot be used as a substitute for Fences, because Creatures can simply walk over one piece of ladder or can also jump onto two ladders placed on top of each other just like on any kind of common solid blocks.
As Creatures can just walk over the upper end of ladders, they can use them as "bridges" to cross small gaps that they otherwise couldn't.
Standing on a ladder does not make a player character invulnerable, even though agressive Creatures usually ignore player characters who are on a ladder and out of their reach. Many aggressive Creatures also stop hunting the character as soon as s/he steps up or down a ladder. However some aggressive Creatures will rather follow player characters and then wait in front of the ladder, hitting at the player character as far as they can reach.
Standing on a ladder makes throwing Explosives hard to accomplish, so it usually is necessary to reach the top of the ladder to be able to throw anything accurately.
Since R32 you don't need to equip any Power Cells to pick up any kind of crafted objects or blocks that have been placed into the world. Of course you won't be able to take these on claims of other players (or in worlds) where your permission level is set low.
Wood Ladders, despite being made from Wood, are non-inflammable and can even be placed into liquid Lava without starting to burn.